During the early years of the internet, web development can only be performed by programming experts who use standalone programs that are installed on their desktop computers. They create websites through HTML coding and some scripting languages.
Later, new programs allow web developers to create websites using advanced GUIs that let them add elements to web pages using simple mouse operations. Once they have completed the coding and designing process, they can now upload their work to the web servers using an FTP client. The servers will then publish their websites so users can access them through the web.
Online Site Builders
Later on, when internet was already in its advanced page, new web applications were developed that allow users to rapidly create and publish websites. The so-called website builders were provided by web hosting sites so their users can customize and design their own websites according to their own preferences.
These site builders were designed to be user-friendly so that even those without any knowledge in web programming or basic HTML can publish their own websites. They can change the templates and themes of their site by simply clicking on the one they want.
Users will just only need to select their desired web elements from the design panel, easily drag them using their mouse, and drop them to the place on the page where they want them to appear. This simple mouse operation gave the name “Drag & Drop Site Builders” to these handy tools.
Benefits of Site Builders
Aside from being easy to learn and use, site builders were also admired by many because of their haste in publishing websites. Setting up your first website can only take minutes, and publishing them only seconds.
In the past, web development can only be done with programs installed on a computer, while publishing them requires you to upload all your files to the web server which can take minutes or hours depending on their file sizes.
- Now, using website builders, you can perform the web development process online and publishing them will only take a second or two since you no longer need to upload and configure them on the web server.
- If you want to make any changes on your site’s design, you can easily do so and the changes will be reflected on your site instantly – no downtime required. This allows you to design your site in a trial and error basis without any adverse effects.
iPage Hosting Services
iPage is the epitome of excellent web hosting service at its most reasonable price. You can sign up with their hosting service for a price that is less than $2 a month. That’s way lower than any web hosting price you’ll see in the market. For this very low cost, you’ll get all the basic services you’ll need to start your own site including:
- Unlimited storage space and bandwidth
- A free domain name
- Unlimited MySQL databases and email accounts
- Applications installer
- A number of add-on services to spice up your website
- iPage also has its own website builders. You can choose from two awesome site builders: Weebly Drag & Drop Site Builder and CM4all.
Weebly Site Builder for iPage Users
If you have an account with Weebly.com and have tried using their site builder, then you will immediately notice that they are the similar to that of iPage’s Weebly tool. This is because iPage uses the same site builder as Weebly.com. Weebly is, in fact, an independent hosting company that provides free web hosting services to users.
Their remarkable site builder became widely known and used which convinced them to make it proprietary. Because of this, other web hosting providers were allowed to use the same site builder in exchange for licensing fees. iPage opted to use the same site builder and acquired its license so iPage users can also use it. Now, the Weebly Drag & Drop Site Builder was already included in iPage’s basic web hosting services.
Website Creator by CM4All
Your other option is CM4All’s site builder. This site creator is especially designed for small businesses and online consumers. You can choose from three (3) different versions: the limited edition, premium edition, and the e-commerce edition.
- The limited edition is good for regular website owners and is included in the essential hosting plan of iPage. It can create up to nine (9) pages for your site.
- The premium edition is designed for small businesses. It has advanced features than the limited edition such SEO features and forum support.
- The E-commerce edition, on the other hand, can create unlimited site pages and have great support for shopping carts, PayPal Merchant and other payment options. It’s great for medium and large enterprises.
The last two editions must be purchased through iPage’s website.